Happy feast of St. Nicholas! November was a busy month at Cardinal Newman Academy.
We hosted several shadow days with prospective students, as well as our second Admissions Open House.
Welcoming visitors to our school gives me great joy, and I look forward to seeing more new faces as our school continues to grow.
CNA’s Service Club organized this year’s annual trip to East End Cemetery. We joined volunteers from VCU to help clean this historical cemetery. The event is always a great opportunity for our students, families, faculty, and Board to come together in service and in prayer for those who have gone to their eternal rest.
Every year, our students participate in a pilgrimage. “To step out of ourselves and encounter God,” in the words of Pope Benedict XVI, is a great gift. Last month, students toured the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, then walked to St. Peter’s Catholic Church, the original cathedral of our Diocese, for noon mass.
Our former Olympian and Coach Dee Hayes has returned to CNA this year to continue offering fencing to our students. We’re grateful to have her, and our fencers are improving their skill and discipline!
Around the halls
- Students have been reading Faulkner, Tolkien, and Thucydides, and discussed virtue in public life;
- In Enrichment, we offered our rosaries for the poor souls in Purgatory and spent time reflecting on death and eternity;
- Our students engaged in a fierce door decorating competition (see below);
- In Natural History, our students are completing projects on birds and updating their journal entries;
- In music, students are presenting on various composers and will be attending a concert and choral performance at the University of Richmond.
Looking ahead :
Stay tuned for an announcement next week on this year’s Christmas Challenge . Last year, you helped us raise over twice our initial goal!!
Check your inbox and our Facebook page next week for information on how you can join our challenge and support our growing school.
Eileen M. Lapington